Clifton Rugby Football Club History
index sitemap advanced
site search by freefind

Edouard Herbert Allan Goss


Born 13th June 1877 in Rangoon. Clifton College 1889-95. He joined Clifton RFC in 1896. His name is not on the Memorial.

In 1881 the family lived at

In 1891 and 1901 the family lived at 4 Oakfield Grove, Clifton, Bristol.

His brother, Cecil Rene Goss joined Clifton RFC in 1902.

Son of Louis Allan Goss and Marie Leonie Goss, of 5 Harvey Road, Cambridge. Gazetted December, 1914. His mother was born on the French Colony of the Isle of Bourbon in the Indian Ocean, east of Madagascar. The island is now known as Reunion Island.

He died on 1st July 1916 and was buried in a crater on the Carnoy-Montauban Road. In 1920 his parents were informed by the War Office that his remains had been exhumed and reinterred at the Dantzig Alley British Cemetery (VIII.R.4)

An account of his death was made in “REPORT BY CAPTAIN A.G.KENCHINGTON ‘B’ COMPANY [7th BUFFS] ON OPERATIONS OF 1st JULY 1916”
Before ‘Y’ day I had collected and stored in No. 10 sap necessary bombs and apparatus. I had put notice-boards
directing runners to this point at the end of all saps and trenches in the crater area.
At zero [7:30 a.m.] the three sections of each platoons [sic] advanced as arranged round the flanks and the other
two sections with snipers went over the craters which were very muddy. The left-hand party entered the enemy
trenches with only one casualty, the platoon Commander Lieut. E.H.A. Goss, who was killed instantly by a shell.
This platoon found the rear portion of the crater area quite knocked out of recognition, and soon overcame two
bombing parties and three or four snipers who opposed them.

In the book "Historical Records of the Buffs 1914-1919" by RSH Moody published in 1922 it says

The Carnoy mine craters took six hours to clear, and six hours very heavy fighting it was, carried out under 2nd Lt Tatam whose excellent work was rewarded by a M.C. C Company was soon called away to aid the East Surrys. as were later two platoons of A Company. In fact, these two platoons of A, together with one of C Company, under Lts Dyson and Budds resepectively, reached the final objective and held that part of it allotted to the East Surry Regiment until relieved by other troops. Again irt became necessary about noon to send up half of D Company to make good part of the final objective of the 7th Queen's. This was done successfully, but the company lost its commander Capt g T Neame, during the operation.

There is no doubt that during the whole operatopn, which was carried out more or less as planned, our troops encountered far more oppostion than was anticipated; particularly was this the case at the craters, to attack which only two platoons were originally assigned, a number of men quite inadequate. The whole position, indeed, proved to be a very strong one, consisting of four lines.

The batttalion lost the following casualties on this day:


Capt G T Neame, Lts P G Norbury and E H A Goss and 2nd Lt J F Baddeley and 48 other ranks.

It is thought that as because he had left Clifton many years before the war and that his parents had moved to Cambridge his name was missed off the Clifton War Memorial.