Clifton Rugby Football Club History
index sitemap advanced
site search by freefind

Arthur Budd


Arthur Budd was born on the 14th October 1853 in Bristol.

Above the Bristol Mercury entry for the birth of Arthur Budd.

He was the son of William Budd who's work on the spread and prevention of fevers were very radical at the time. He is acknowledged as discovering the origins of Typhoid. He wrote Typhoid fever; its nature, mode of spreading, and prevention. London, Longmans, Green & Co. in 1873.

Above left: Arthur's Grandfather Samuel Budd Snr, a retired naval Surgeon, Middle: his father, William Budd, Above right: his uncle George Budd FRS who was a physician to King's College Hospital, London.

During the 1841 cesus his father was living at North Tawton, Devon with his brothers. They were

Name Age Occupation
Christian Budd 25 Physician
William Budd 30 Physician
Octavius Budd 15
Nonus Budd 15

It has been suggested that his father, William Budd, was a possible model for Tertius Lydgate in George Elliot's Middlemarch, first published in 1871.

His mother was Caroline Mary Hilton, daughter of Giles Hilton, of Lords, Faversham, Kent. Giles Hilton became a partner in the Shepherd Neame brewery after marrying a niece of Julius Shepherd's. Geographic expansion was a major concern during this time, and the firm acquired pubs as far away as Dover. Finding suitable tenants and maintaining ale houses accounted for a considerable amount of the partners' time. The firm encountered financial trouble and had to mortgage a £3,000 piece of property in 1847. Hilton, who had diverse business interests, then withdrew from the partnership, making the brewery's position even more precarious. He is buried at St James Church, Sheldwich.

His parents married in Bath on the 7th April 1847. His mother was 19 and his father was 35.

His sister Mary Georgina Budd was born on the 7th September 1850 at Park Street.

His sister Alice Maud Budd was born on the 22nd December 1851 at Park Steet.

During the 1851 census the Budd family lived at 52 Park Street and were

Name Relation Age Occupation Where born
William Budd Head 39 Physician Devon
Caroline M. Budd Wife 23   Kent
William Budd Son 2 Bristol
Mary G. Budd Daug 1 Bristol
Alice M. Budd Daug 6 months Bristol
Mary Ann Brendley Servant 28 Nurse Worcester
Elizabeth Kerle Servant 29 Cook Devon
Margaret Hosken Servant 24 Parlour Maid Devon

His brother William Budd, the eldest son, died on the 28th January 1853 at 28 Park Street.

His brother George Turnavine Budd was born on the 3rd November 1855 at Park Street.

His sister Caroline Ethel Budd was born on the 7th May 1857 at 28 Park Street.

Above 22 Park Street, now numbered 89 and home to George's Bookshop. Photo taken pre WW2. Home of the Budd family, from 1853 to 1859, when Arthur was born.

Above plaque on outside of 22 Park Street, now numbered 89 and home to Blackwell's. It has the wrong dates on it. The Budd family left this house in 1859.

The Budd family moved to 13 Lansdown Place in 1860 which is on the north east side of Victoria Square in Clifton.

During the 1861 census the Budd family lived at 13 Lansdown Place and were

Name Relation Age Occupation Where born
William Budd Head 49 MD University Edinburgh North Tawton, Devon
Caroline May Budd Wife 33 Preston, Kent
Mary Georgina Budd Daug 11 Scholar St. Augustines, Bristol
Arthur Budd Son 7 Scholar St. Augustines, Bristol
George Turnavine Budd Son 5 Scholar Clifton
Caroline Ethel Budd Daug 3 Scholar St. Augustines, Bristol
Frances Ellen Budd Daug 2 Scholar Clifton
Maria Teresa Budd Daug 6 months Clifton
Mary Peacock Servant 27 Housemaid Kelston, Somerset
Eliza Peacock Servant 15 Housemaid Kelston, Somerset
Ann Rogers Servant 25 Parlour Maid Chew Magna
Eliza Thomas Servant 25 Cook Beer, Devon
Mary Ann Quick Servant 24 Housemaid Tiverton, Devon
Harriet Foster Servant 16 Housemaid Banwell, Somerset

Above 13 Lansdown Place

Arthur Budd attended Clifton College from Jan 1864 - 1872 and Pembroke College, Cambridge from Oct 4th 1872 - 1877.

In 1866 William Budd and his family then went to live at the Manor House in Clifton.

Above front of The Manor House. Photo taken pre WW2.

Above the Manor House, York Place, Clifton. Now part of Bristol University's Manor Halls of Residence. Budd lived there until 1873.

During the 1871 census the Budd family lived at the Manor House and were

Name Relation Age Occupation Where born
William Budd Head 59 Physician. Doctor of Medicine (University Edinburgh) North Tawton, Devon
Caroline M. Budd Wife 42   Preston, Kent
Mary G. Budd Daug 21 St. Augustines, Bristol
Alice M Budd Daug 20 St. Augustines, Bristol
Arthur Budd Son 17 Scholar St. George's, Bristol
George T. Budd Son 15 Scholar St. George's, Bristol
Caroline E. H. Budd Daug 13 Scholar St. George's, Bristol
Frances E. Budd Daug 12 Scholar Clifton, Bristol
Maria T. Budd Daug 10   Clifton, Bristol
George Priest Servant 34 Butler Axminster, Devon
Harriet Edwards Servant 19 Kitchen Maid Bicknollar, Somerset
Herbert H. Ward Servant 18 Footman Budleigh Salterton, Somerset
Lydia Tutton Servant 26 Lady's Maid Othery, Somerset
Lavinia Ridgeway Servant 24 Housemaid Ashbritle, Somerset
Jane Hopkins Servant 16 Housemaid North Tawton, Devon

On 9th December 1871 The Bristol Mercury reported about a woman providing false refernces to Mrs. Budd to obtain a job as a cook. It said

A young woman, named Elizabeth Fox, was charged with attempting to obtain a situation as a cook, in the service of Mrs Budd, of Manor-house, Clifton, by the means of a false and fraudulent character.- Mrs. Caroline Mary Budd, wife of Dr. Budd, stated that on the 25th of November she saw the prisoner, at a Registry-office on St. Augustine's parade. She applied to her for a situation as cook, and said she required thirty guineas a year, the same as she had been getting. Witness told her she only gave twenty-five guineas, and she agreed to accept that sum. They went into particulars abd the interview ended in witness engaging her, and she referred her for her character to Mrs Jane E, Parry, Edinburgh-house, Canon Pyon, near Hereford. She wrote to that address, and received in reply the letter produced. She thought it had not the appearance of a lady's letter and she wrote to the clergyman of the parish, and in consequence of his replyshe communicated with Mr. Supt. Handcock. The letter, which was received by Mrs Budd from the address given by the prisoner, was read by Mr. Brice, and was as follows :-

MADAM- In answer to your note referring to Elizabeth Fox's character, she was in my service two years. I always found her sober, honest and truthful, also a good cook and manager. Why she left me was to go to live near Bristol, because that part suites her health better than Hereford. I remain, yours respectfully, JANE PARRY.

Mrs. Budd added that when she engaged the prisoner she told her that she would not be able to get an answer to her letter by return of post, because the lady to whom she had referred her was very religious, and did not send for her letters on Sundays. Mr. Brice remarked that there was no doubt about the law of the case, but there was some difficulty in making it out in evidence. In the later doubt that the offence with which the prisoner was charged had been committed, and he advised the magistrates to remand her as it was one of those cases that ought to be investigated, and which should not be allowed to drop through by reason of a technical difficulty. In the interests of public justice the case ought to be thoroughly investigated, and if the accused was remanded for a few days a police-officer might be sent to the place named to make inquiries, and who would then be in a position to show that the representations made by the prisoner were false. Mr. Poole remarked that the public ought to be much obliged to MNrs Budd for having bought the case forward, and the prisoner was remanded until Friday.. We understand from inquiries made by Mr. Superintendent Handcock, through the Herefordshire police, that the prisoner has a sister named Ann Parry, who can neither read nor write, residing with her son at Edinburgh-cotages, Canon Pyon, six and a half miles from Herford. She had been living there two years, and gained a livlihood by working in the fields. The prisoner had been staying there recently out of the situation. It was believed that the reply to Mrs Budd's letter had been written by a woman who was in the habit of writing letters for the poor people of the parish.

He attended Clifton College (Pupil no. 205) from Jan 1864 - 1872 and Pembroke College, Cambridge from Oct 4th 1872 - 1877. He is one of the few Cambridge University players who've gained international honours but not a blue. He rowed for his college.

Above Clifton College Rugby players in 1872. Arthur Budd is believed to be somewhere in the picture.

Budd's recolections of rugby at Clifton College were in the 1892 book Football - The Rugby Union Game by the Revd. Francis Marshall. He said

When I played as a schoolboy at Clifton, where the Rugby School game - the progenitor of the Rugby Union game - was adopted in its entirity, the number of players was twenty a-side in an ordinary match, and, in the Sixth and School game, the latter were allowed forty to the twenty of the sturdier seniors. Old Boys who had gained their capsin bygone days were accorded the privilege of joining in all Bigsize matches whenever they pleased, so that it was not at all an uncommon thing to see a dozen supernumenaries ranging themselves from one side or the other. Hacking over the first on-side was permissible, and tripping over a runner was quite as much practised as tackling. A player who could not take and give hacks was not considered worth his salt, and to put one's head down in a scrummage was regarded as an act of high treason. We were more frequently boxed in a scrummage for three or four minutes together, only to discover, only to discover that the half-back had by this time absconded with the ball to the other side of the ground.

He started with Clifton RFC in 1872. He played in the Club v College match on 25th November 1876 click here. He moved to Ravenscourt Park in 1876, then he played for Edinburgh Wanderers in 1877-78, when he was captain, before joining Blackheath later that season.

Above report of Richmond v Ravenscourt Park (with Arthur Budd) played on 18th November 1876

Above the Grange Cricket Ground, Stockbridge, Edinburgh where Edinburgh Wanderers played.

INTERNATIONAL RECORD: English Caps 1878/79,1881

Career Record: P5, W3, D2, L0, Tries 1, Cons 0, Pen 0, DropG 0

11th March 1878 v Ireland (Lansdowne Road, Dublin) W 2G,1T-0

10th March 1879 v Scotland (Raeburn Place, Edinburgh) D 1G-1DG

24th March 1879 v Ireland (Oval, London) W 2G,2T,1DG-0

19th Feb 1881 v Wales (Blackheath) W 7G,6T,1DG-0

19th March 1881 v Scotland (Raeburn Place, Edinburgh) D 1DG,1T-1G,1T



In 1877 Arthur Budd joined Blackheath scoring 3 tries in his first season

Back Row (L-R): ?, ?, A.Budd (Blackheath), ?. Middle Row (L-R): ?, ?, ?, ?, ?. Front Row (L-R): ?, ?, ?, ?, ?. On Ground (L-R): ?, ?.

Above the England team that played Ireland on the 11th March 1878 with ex Clifton College and Clifton RFC player Arthur Budd and future Clifton player W.J.Penny. Image courtesy of the RFU.

Back Row (L-R): A.Budd, F.S.Ireland, A.S.Marsden, Aub. Spurling, G.Stokes, H.C.Harrison, P.Brunskill, N.Smith. Seated: W.H.White, W.J.Penny, H.D.Bateson, L.Stokes, G.W.Burton, A.Poland, G.Budd. On Ground: O.Richardson, G.Spurling, A.H.Jackson, R.Cuff, A.R.Layman.

Blackheath 1st XV 1878-79 with ex Clifton RFC player Arthur Budd and future Clifton RFC player William Penny.

Arthur Budd’s second match for England (v Scotland 10th March 1879) was the first ever match played for the Calcutta Cup (see below). The Calcutta Cup was made from silver rupees which were the funds remaining when The Calcutta Football Club ceased playing due to the lack of fixtures. They had this money melted down, made into the cup and donated it to the RFU. Rugby is not a sport well suited to the climate of India. The Calcutta Football Club boasted several players of distinction in their membership. They had two England international players in B. H. Burns and S. Finney, and one Irishman who was later to be capped for his country - G. St Leger Fagan. They also had two Scots: D. McKinnon from London Scottish and G. C. Maclagan, the elder brother of W. E. (Bill) Maclagan, of Edinburgh Academicals and London Scottish, who represented Scotland in twenty-six internationals. There is an anomaly in the recording of the winning country on the base of the Cup. Records are recorded on the plinth from 1871 onwards before the cup was made.

Above the Calcutta Cup.

Back Row (L-R): H.Huth (Huddersfield), R.Walker (Manchester), L.Stokes (Blackheath), F.R.Adams (Richmond), S.Neame (Old Cheltonians), G.Harrison (Hull), N.F.McLeod (R.I.E.College), H.C.Rowley (Manchester), H.H.Taylor (St.Georges Hospital). Sitting (L-R): W.J.Penny (United Hospitals/Kings College Hospital), A.Budd (Blackheath), G.W.Burton (Blackheath), H.H.Springman (Liverpool), F.D.Fowler (Manchester). On Ground (L-R): W.A.D.Evanson (Richmond), G.F.Vernon (Reserve) (Blackheath).

Above the England team that played Scotland on 10th March 1879 with ex Clifton College and Clifton RFC player Arthur Budd and future Clifton player W.J.Penny. This was the first England team to play for the Calcutta Cup. Image courtesy of the RFU.

His father, William Budd, died on 9th January 1880 at Castle Villa, Clevedon. He was buried at Arnos Vale Cemetery, Bristol. Arthur Budd inherited his fathers shares in the Great Western Railway on the 22nd March 1880.

Above his fathers grave at Arnos Vale Cemetery.

Back Row (L-R): G.O.Jacob, A.Poland, H.Fowler, G.Stokes. Crouching: G.F.Vernon, A.Budd. Sitting: F.L.Pattisson, S.Neame, L.Stokes (Captain), G.W.Burton, H.Freeborn. On Ground: A.R.Layman, A.R.Veitch, A.H.Jackson, Aubrey Spurling.

Above Blackheath 1st XV 1880-81 with Arthur Budd

Arthur Budd scored his only try for England against Wales on 19th February 1881.

Back Row (L-R): H.C.Rowley (Manchester), H.Vassall (Oxford University), A.Budd (Blackheath), G.W.Burton (Blackheath), C.H.Coates (Leeds), H.Fowler (Walthamstow), A.N.Hornby (Manchester). Middle Row (L-R): R.Hunt (Manchester), E.T.Gurdon (Richmond), C.Gurdon (Richmond), C.W.L.Fernandez (Leeds), C.Phillips (Birkenhead Park), W.W.Hewitt (Queen's House), L.Stokes (Captain) (Blackheath). Front: F.T.Wright (Edinburgh Academicals) (Emergency). H.H.Taylor (Blackheath)missed the train.

Above the England team that played Scotland on 19th March 1881 with ex Clifton College and Clifton RFC player Arthur Budd. This was Stokes last match for England before he retired to concentrate on his medical career. He dropped a goal to earn a draw for England. Frank Thurlow Wright won his one and only England cap because Henry Herbert Taylor missed the train. This was Arthur Budds last International.

In 1881 Arthur Budd was living with his mother and sisters at 32 Charlesville Road, London. They were

Name Relation Age Occupation Where born
Caroline Mary Budd
Head (Widow)
No Profession
Mary Ann Budd
No Profession
Alice Maud Budd
No Profession
Arthur Budd
A. W. House
C. M. Dunn
C. Davis

Arthur Budd refereed Blackheaths last game at Richardson's Field on the v Richmond. Blackheath won by 1 Goal and 1 Try to nil. This game was played a week after the North v South England trial match on the same grond. Blackheath then moved ground to Rectory Field and played their first match their on the 13th January 1883

Back Row (L-R): L.Stokes, G.W.Burton, J.Hammond, C.J.B.Marriott, A.Poland, J.M.Smith, G.O.Jacob, G.Twyford, E.J.Moore, R.A.Carruthers, A.Darandu, A.H.Jackson, John Smith. Front Row: W.N.Bolton, G.Standing, C.Templer, P.A.Newton, A.Spurling, R.S.F.Henderson, A.Budd.

Above the Blackheath 1st XV that played Newport on March 17th 1883 with Arthur Budd. Blackheath won by 2 tries to 1.

On the 1st May 1884 he entered St. Bartholomews Hospital as a student. His residence is listed as 32 Charleville Road, West Kensington, London.

Above an engraving of Arthur Budd from the Illustrated Sporting and Dramatic News on the 26th April 1884.

Arthur Budds final season for Blackheath was in 1888-1889 in which he had scored 1 try. His previous record for Blackheath was

1877-78 3 tries
1878-79 12 tries
1879-80 10 tries
1880-81 2 tries
1881-82 3 tries
1882-83 1 try
1883-1889 ?

Between 1877 and 1889 he played 93 times for Blackheath and was captain in 1887-88 at the age of 34.

Budd was a leading member of his local Conservative Party.

Arthur Budd was a member of the RFU sub-committee that was set-up to draft new laws to illegalise all forms of payment for the 1886 RFU General Meeting. 200 delegates attended this meeting at the Westminster Palace Hotel on 4th Ocober 1886.

Standing (L-R): F.W.Lowrie (Wakefield Trinity), D.Jowlett (Heckmondwike), H.Bedford (Morley), H.J.Wilkinson (Halifax), C.Anderton (Manchester Free Wanderers), J.W.Cave (Cambridge University), A.V.Royle (Broughton Rangers), A.Budd (touch judge). Sitting: R.E.Lockwood (Dewsbury), W. M.Scott (Cambridge University), A.Robinson (Blackheath), W.Yield (Hartlepool Rovers), F.Bonsor (captain) (Bradford). F.Evershed (Burton), J.W.Sutcliffe (Heckmondwike), A.E.Stoddart (Blackheath)

Above: No one would play England or officiate so ex Clifton player and RFU President, Arthur Budd, had to be a touch judge and RFU Secretary Rowland Hill was referee. All because England wouldn't join the IRB. In the only game England played in 1889 on February 16th v New Zealand Natives. Note Wilkinson wore his Yorkshire County shirt for this match, perhaps a sign of defiance of things to come. The match was marred by some appalling refereeing. Towards the end of the first half, the ball twice went loose behind New Zealand's posts. On each occasion, New Zealand touched it down for a five-yard scrum, only for England's Harry Bedford to fall on it. On each occasion, Rowland Hill awarded a try. In the second half, Andrew Stoddart's shorts were ripped in the tackle by New Zealand's Tom Ellison and Stoddart dropped the ball for repairs, while most of the New Zealand team had encircled Stoddart after they had thought a dead ball had been called, England's Frank Evershed picked up the ball and stole over the line to claim a try in the corner. As the Natives disputed the try Evershed picked up the ball and placed it under the posts so that Sutcliffe was in a better position to convert. Three of the New Zealand team then walked off in protest. The referee, Rowland Hill just carried on with the match. Later he demanded an apology in writing after being heavily criticized by the New Zealand player Tom Ellison. The first attempt was unacceptable to Rowland Hill when he had dictated the apology he wanted. Following this the New Zealand team were socially ostracized for the rest of the tour and, when it was time for the voyage home, there was no official party to say farewell.

His mother, Caroline, died on 16th April 1887. Her obituarty appeared in The Times on 20th April 1887 and said

On the 16th inst, at 32, Charleville-road, West Kengsington, CAROLINE MARY, widow of the late WILLIAM BUDD, M.D., F.R.S., of Clifton, Bristol, and daughter of Giles Hilton, of Lords, Faversham, Kent, at 59.

In The Morning Post on 10th May 1887 it said

MRS. CAROLINE MARY BUDD, Deceased. - Any Person who has in his Possession a WILL, or CODICIL signed by the abovenamed Mrs. CAROLINE MARY BUDD, late of No.32 Charville-road, West Kensington, in the county of Middlesex, Widow, dated on or subsequent to the 18th day of July, 1884, is REQUESTED to COMMUNICATE forthwith with us.

WODHOUSE, TROWER, FREELING, and PARKIN, 5 New square, Lincoln's inn, Solicitors for the Representatives of the Deceased. 7th May 1887.

In her will, on 8th July 1887, she left £537 3s 2d. The principal registry was by the Rev. Alfred Giles Hilton of Stansfield Rectory Clare in the County of Suffolk.

Back Row (L-R): L.Stokes, G.W.Burton, A.Budd, N.Spurling, C.J.B.Marriott. Standing: A.Allport, P.H.Illingworth, W.M.Scott, H.B.Marriott, F.R.Alderson, R.D.Budworth, A.Spurling. Seated: A.Robinson, A.E.Stoddart, P.Christopherson, J.Hammond. On Ground: W.P.Carpmael, A.S.Johnson, R.B.Sweet Escott.

Above Blackheath 1st XV 1888-89 with ex Clifton RFC player Arthur Budd and future Clifton RFC player Richard Budworth. This was Budds last season at Blackheath.

Arthur Budd was appointed President of the Rugby Football Union at its Annual General Meeting on the 4th October 1888 at the Westminster Palace Hotel. He is also the only person to become President of the Rugby Football Union while still playing

He is quoted this year as saying ‘The troubles of the Union commenced with the advent of the working man. If he cannot afford the leisure to play the game he must do without it’.

In 1889, along with G.L.Jeffrey, he formed the London Society of Referees.

Standing (L-R): A.N.Hornby, F.W.Burnand, W.Cail, J.W.H.Thorp, A.Budd, F.I.Currey, H.Fuller, F.H.Fox, G.F.Berney, R.Westray, J.H.Payne, A.B.Perkins, B.Kilner.Centre Row, Seated: H.L.Ashmore, H.W.T.Garnett, G.Rowland-Hill, J.Maclaren, J.H.S.Marcarther,. Front Row, seated: T.M.Swinburne, S.E.Sleigh, M.Newsome, R.S.Whalley.

Arthur Budd went on to become Vice President of the RFU from 1886-1888 and President in 1888-89. Above the RFU Committee of 1890-91 with Arthur Budd standing 5th left. Budd's time as Vice President and President was a turbulent time. England had refused to join an international board with the view that since they governed a greater number of clubs they could not be expected to join such a Board on equal terms. Deadlock ensued and England played no matches with other Unions in 1887-88 or 1888-9.

Back Row (L-R): F.I.Currey (Touch Line Judge), W.G.Clibborn, C.M.Wilkins(3/4 Back), W.E.Maclagan, A.Spurling, M.Bowley, J.T.Ward, L.Stokes (Referee), R.S.Whalley (Touch Line Judge). Middle Row: H.L.Ashmore (1/2 Back), A.Budd, E.T.Gurdon (Captain), H.Vassal (3/4 Back), G.R.Hill (1/2 Back), C.J.B.Marriott. Front Row: F.Pattisson, W.Hewitt, H.P.Clarke (Back)

Above the "Old Crocks" v Blackheath A Team:March 1891 with ex Clifton RFC player Arthur Budd. Blackheath won by a try to nothing.

1892 - Ex Clifton player and ex RFU President Arthur Budd contributes to the book "FOOTBALL - THE RUGBY UNION GAME" - Rev F Marshall.

The Revd Francis Marshall was the self-appointed scourge of professionalism in the years before the Northern Union broke away from the RFU in 1895. Headmaster of King James Grammar School , Almondbury, near Huddersfield, he was a well-known rugby referee, who frequently smoked a cigar while officiating.

Above left the Revd. Francis Marshall. For more details see the Print section above. Above right a picture of Arthur Budd from the 1892 edition of "FOOTBALL - THE RUGBY UNION GAME"

Arthur Budd emigrated to Johannesburg, South Africa in 1893. He sailed on the 4th March 1893 on the Union liner "Scot" on the same day as Scotland routed the English forwards. England lost by 2 drop-goals to nil. The Scot made the journey to Johannesburg in a record time of 14 days and 18 hours. A record that stood for 14 years.

Above the Scot (photo circa 1907)

It is not known when he exactly returned to London. But it was before 1st November 1894 when he attended a RFU meeting at the Craven Hotel, Charring Cross.

He is quoted as saying in 1897 "The Northern Union is a most admirable drainpipe. A man who would cook accounts would steal your watch, and is capable of any kind of inequity. We are well rid of such persons."

On 27th November 1897 "Football" by A.Budd, C.B.Fry, B.F.Robinson & T.Cook. The Suffolk Sporting Series, was published by Lawrence & Bullen.

He was still working on the Rugby Football Committee in 1898. He attended the RFU meeting at the Westminster Palace Hotel on 22nd September 1898

On 1st January 1899 was published a book called Football. Budd wrote the Rugby section from a general work on all codes published in 1897, reprinted as part of the 'New Penny Handbook' series. This booklet includes historical and instructional sections with biographies of prominent players of the day. Much discussion of the breakaway of the Northern Union and the impact of professionalism. Published by Ward Lock

Arthur Budd was admitted to St. Bartholomew's Hospital on the 16th August 1899 to the Casualty Ward run by Dr. Gee with cirrhosis of the liver, chronic pneumonia, and neuritis. Although at the time newspapers reported the problem as paralysis.

It was reported in the Liverpool Mercury on the 18th August 1899 that he had been found in Fetter Lane, London in an unconcious position on the pavement.

Arthur Budd died on 27th August 1899 at 5.40pm. His obituary appeared in The Times on 29th August 1899 and said

Mr. ARTHUR BUDD, an old international Rugby football player, and the ex-president of the Rugby Union, died on Sunday in St. Bartholomew's Hospital, to which he had been removed after a stroke of paralysis about 12 days ago. Mr.Budd, who was the son of a well known Gloucestershire doctor, was educated at Clifton. He had among his contempories Mr.H.G.Tylecote the Oxford cricketer, and Mr.J.A.Bush, the Gloucestershire wicket-keeper. Going up to Cambridge he rowed stroke in the college boat, and took a prominant part in football. In 1876 he joined the Blackheath Club, then under the captaincy of Mr.Leonard Stokes, who did so much develop back play and drop-kicking. Mr.Budd, who played for England in many of the international matches in the later seventies and early eighties, was noteworthy as a player in the scrummages, and to the latter-day fallacy of making the forwards sub-servient to the backs. Mr.Budd at first studied for the Bar, but relinquishing the law, he took to medicine, and passed through the St.Bartholomew's Hospital Schools.

Above St. Bartholomews Hospital where Arthur Budd died.

Above Dr Samuel Jones Gee who certified the death of Arthur Budd. For more click here

At the time of his death he is listed as living at the Triangle Hotel, Charterhouse Street, Holborn, London. The Triangle Hotel was immediately adjacent to St. Bartholomew's Hospital

His body was taken away by the undertakers, Young & Son of Smithfield. He was buried at the City of London Cemetery and Crematorium in Ilford on the 31st August 1899 in grave 55865 square 199. There is a headstone on this grave which has now been laid flat.

Above the entrance to he City of London Cemetery and Crematorium in Ilford

Above layout of the City of London Cemetery and Crematorium in Ilford with the position of Budd's grave marked.

Above article from the Pall Mall Gazette about Budd's funeral

Above Budd's grave at the City of London. I knew beforehand if had fallen flat. I visited on 16th October 2013 in the pouring rain and the grave was hidden, grown over with grass, which I cleared away. The years of the grave being flat had hastened the decay of the stone. Very little was recognisagle apart from the initials TH and BU from his name and two rugby ball shaped indentations at the bottom.

Above a close up of the grave showing the indemtations on the left of the image.

At the annual meeting of the Rugby Football Union at the Westminster Palace Hotel on 21st September 1899 a tribute to the work of Arthur Budd was made. The Times said on 22nd September 1899

The election of officers for the year was taken as an opportune moment by the chairman to pay tribute to the work of the late Mr. Arthur Budd, a past president of the Rugby Union and the famous Cambridge and Blackheath player, did for Rugby football. Not only was he one of the bulwarks by which the Rugby Union threw off the threatened professionalism, which ended in the withdrawal of the Northern Union clubs, but next to his fight for rigid amateurism his best endeavor was the settlement of the international dispute in which, by his tact and lucidity of statement he had a very big hand. These facts Mr. Thorp, felt were the best memorial of one of Rugby football's best friends.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote about the Budd brothers, Arthur and George, in his 1924 autobiography entitled Memories and Adventures:

In my last year of study at Edinburgh I formed a friendship with this remarkable student [George]. He came of a famous medical family, his father [William] having been a great authority upon zymotic disease. He came also of a famous athletic stock, and was a great rugby forward himself, though rather handicapped by the Berserk fury with which he would play. He was up to international form, and his younger brother [Arthur] was reckoned by good judges to be about the best forward who ever donned the rose-embroidered jersey of England.

Arthur Conan Doyle was, for a short time, in partnership with George Budd, Arthur's brother, in Plymouth, in 1882. They had first met at University in Edinburgh.