|Clifton Rugby Football Club History||
Grounds - Redland Green 1919-1920
The ground at North View had been ploughed up and used as allotments during World War One. The compensation paid for the damage to the ground was only £20. Not enough to cover the damage done. Matches were played away until a suitable pitch could be found. As a temporary measure Redland Green was used.
Map above is from 1890 and shows Redland Green in the centre. Coldharbour Farm is still there.
Above map of area sdated 1912
Above Redland Green shaded pink. Reproduced from the (1916) Ordnance Survey map. © Crown copyright.
On the 22nd November 1919 the Club opened their new ground at Redland Green. The facilities were primitive. The changing rooms were a wooden hut 5 metres by 3 metres., situated in a farmyard with an old army portable canvas bath for washing. It was discovered only 1 hour before the first match that the posts had been mistakenly erected on the dead ball line. The first game was played against the Tank Corps. A few weeks later after Cattle had grazed on the pitch and the ditches surrounding the pitch had overflowed, the pitch had become very muddy. A few tons of ashes were tipped onto the pitch only for club officials discovering that they had been tipped onto the wrong field and so they had to be moved by hand. The pitch was now a mixture of hard ashes, mud and cow dung.
In 1920 we moved to Eastfield click here